You can ask questions, interact with and share your weather observations with our meteorologists 7 days a week on social media:
- MetService New Zealand (@MetService) on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetService
- MetService (@MetService) on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetService
- Share your favourite weather photos with MetService New Zealand (@metservicenz) on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/metservicenz (hashtag #metservice in your posts and we may share them too - find out more below)
- Follow Severe Weather Info (@MetServiceWARN) on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetServiceWARN for the latest warnings and watches as they're issued
We welcome interaction with you on our social media accounts! It's our aim to respond to all your questions, and to answer them transparently and as quickly as possible. We have a dedicated media shift working during the day, 7 days a week, and outside these hours our on-shift meteorologists will respond when their forecasting duties allow time.
It is important to remember that our Facebook community includes people of all ages and backgrounds. Comments must be respectful to MetService and other users. With this in mind, here's what NOT to post on our page:
- Posts from or links to other weather pages - we're New Zealand's national weather authority. It is important there's no confusion about where to get accurate and official weather updates, particularly when weather gets severe. Where another official weather organisation is providing relevant and authoritative information, we'll share it ourselves.
- Abusive or derogatory comments about others - we will hide these posts immediately, and repeat posts of this nature will result in you being blocked from posting to our Page.
- Defamatory, libellous, false or misleading comments - as above!
- Posts containing swear words - please be courteous to others when posting to our page. Remember, there could be kids watching!
- Promoting a belief, cause or business - please don't use our Facebook page for promotion. It's important that everyone can trust what they see there.
- Personal information - about yourself or others, such as private addresses or phone numbers.
Posts being made to our page does not mean or imply our endorsement of the content of those posts or the person/entity posting them. You are fully responsible for the content you submit. You should also refer to and comply with Facebook's Rights and Responsibilities statement at www.facebook.com/legal/terms.
We may collect and use information posted to this Facebook page for the purpose of administering the page, considering and/or addressing any comments made, and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of Facebook or any linked websites.
MetService-owned media used on our Facebook page is protected by copyright law. Copyright in this material resides with MetService or various other rights holders where indicated.
You are welcome to share your images on our Facebook page. MetService does not claim any ownership rights for photos that you share with us, and copyright is maintained by the owner.
You can share your images on our website too - find more out more about sharing images to our Weather Image gallery at http://about.metservice.com/our-company/about-this-site/use-metservicenz-to-share-your-weather-photos.
Please note that, by:
- posting images on our Facebook page
- posting images and tagging us by our username @MetService on Twitter or @MetServiceNZ on Instagram, or
- posting images and using the #metservice (or #metservicenz) hashtag
you grant MetService New Zealand permission to share your images via our website, social media accounts and on occasion via other marketing activity.
If your photo is used by MetService in any way, your username or Instagram/Twitter handle will always be credited and, where we wish to use it for marketing purposes, we will attempt to contact you beforehand to confirm and get your OK on the nature of that usage.