Add your own weather station to Your Weather
Register for the WOW System
- As the WOW System is owned and managed by the UK Met Office, you need to register for the WOW System and manage sites through them (in the WOW System, each weather station is called a Site).
- Click here to register a new account or, if you already manage one or more sites on the WOW System, click here to login.
Create a new site
- Once you have registered as a user in the WOW System, in the top level menu click on the Sites tab. This page lists any sites that you own. To create a new Site, click on the Create New Site button at the right of the page.
- The next screen is the Site Details screen, where all the detailed information about your site goes. It might seem a bit daunting, but it’s worth spending the time to ensure you have all the information entered correctly. There’s a handy ‘How To’ bar at the right of the page that explains how to complete the form, and if you discover you don’t have all the information to hand, you can save your site then come back and edit things later.
- The user guide that came with your weather station will list all the data sets that your station collects – use this to specify the Site Data Preferences information in the Site Details screen.
- To understand how to complete the Location Attributes section, use the Site Ratings page to guide you.
- Once you’ve created your site, you’ll see a Site Information screen listing your Site Details, Site Location, Location Attributes and Site Data Preferences. If you want to change any of these details, you can click on the Edit Site button at the right of the page.
- Importantly, you will see your Site ID number listed next to your site name and underneath those, your AWS PIN (the six-digit PIN you created on the previous step). You will need to enter both your Site ID and AWS PIN into your weather station software so that the WOW System can identify which site the observations are coming from.
Connect your station to the WOW System
Now you need to get your compatible weather station and software set up.
- Click on the link above to check out which software packages are compatible with the WOW System, and choose a station that can work with one of these.
- You'll also find plenty of helpful advice about this process on the forums listed on the compatible weather station and software page.
- For starters, here's a handy how-to guide for connecting to WOW with Weather Display software: UK Met Office WOW Set Up (thanks to Budgie from the Weather Display Support Forum)
Managing your sites
Whenever you’re logged into the WOW System, you can use the drop-down ‘Go to’ menu to go directly to your site’s observations. Or you can visit the Your Weather tab on your local Towns & Cities page on metservice.com and see your latest observations there!