New Zealand’s coolest little weather company
From the storm warning that safeguards a fishing fleet, to forecasts that help power companies meet demand, to a commuter’s decision to wear a coat, our work impacts on almost every aspect of daily life. MetService is New Zealand’s weather authority, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
You might be surprised to know that, together with our international commercial subsidiary MetraWeather, we are also a global leader in providing innovative weather information services, contributing to the bottom line of businesses and the wellbeing of millions of people around the world.
We operate as a commercially successful, international organisation with more than 240 employees in New Zealand, Australia, Asia and Europe. As MetService within New Zealand and exporting to the world as MetraWeather, the expertise and research of our team of world-class meteorologists and technologists is at the heart of everything we do. We combine scientific rigour with a drive to create ground-breaking new products and services that redefine the weather industry and create wealth for our customers. We call this delivering ‘powerful weather intelligence’.
What we stand for
An unrelenting approach to accuracy, quality and consistency underpins everything we do - lives and businesses depend on it. Our meteorological expertise and team of dedicated professionals reflect our combination of scientific precision and game-changing, innovative thinking. MetService is a rewarding place to work. We attract talented people from all around the world who share our goals of providing professional meteorological judgement, technologically advanced processes and an agile approach to creating innovative and insightful solutions for our customers. In all our relationships, with our employees, with the environment, the community and our customers, we aim to operate in a socially responsible manner.
What we do
MetService provides comprehensive weather information services, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our national weather forecasts are vital to the New Zealand public and we are constantly enhancing and improving their delivery. We provide ground-breaking products and services that give a competitive edge to local and international businesses in the energy, media, transport, resources, industry, infrastructure and retail sectors.
Our services assist:
- Transport authorities and airlines to keep roads safe and planes flying
- Energy providers to ensure power is available to homes and businesses, regardless of the season
- TV broadcasters to produce accurate, visually stunning and easy-to-understand weather bulletins
- Retailers to plan stock levels and logistics ahead of customer demand
- Emergency and civil defence services to stay up to date in times of severe weather
- Regional councils to manage their water resources
- Farmers to plan when to plant and harvest crops and move to stock to shelter
- Fishermen, boaties, water sport enthusiasts and divers to stay safe and plan their trips
- Resources companies to manage their planning, monitoring and day-to-day operations
- Builders to plan outdoor work around the weather
- Energy traders to make fast and effective trading decisions ahead of the market
- Sports teams to plan training and game-time tactics
- Reporters to bring you the latest weather news as it happens
- All of us to plan our outdoor, recreational and weekend activities
To find out more about our National Weather Services for New Zealand, click here.
To find out more about our Weather Solutions for Business, click here.
To find out more about our international commercial operations as MetraWeather, click here.