When you're out and about and you need a fast forecast, sometimes it's just easier to have it read to you. That's where MetPhone is worth the call.
MetPhone is our 0900 service, providing you with the latest forecasts for your local area - as well as specialist forecasts for marine, mountain and ski areas. All forecasts are constantly monitored and updated 24 hours a day, using our special text-to-speech technology which means loading new forecasts and information takes no longer than five minutes. Read more about this technology below.
What does it cost?
Calls cost $1.99* including GST per minute or part thereof, plus any applicable mobile call rates. Most calls take about a minute. Be aware that some mobile plans do not allow calls to 0900 numbers.
(*Pricing current as of 1 June 2015 and may be subject to change without notice. Please ask the bill payer first).
How do I use MetPhone?
For your local regional forecast, just call 0900 999 + your Area Code ... for example, 0900 999 09 for Auckland Region & Northland; 0900 999 03 for the South Island.
- 0900 999 09 - Auckland Region and Northland.
- Auckland Marine
- Coromandel (land and inshore marine)
- Bay of Islands Marine
- Auckland Marine Wind Observation
- 0900 999 07 - Rest of Upper North Island.
- Bay of Plenty
- Coromandel (Land & Marine)
- 0900 999 06 - Rest of Lower North Island.
- Hawke's Bay
- 0900 999 04 - Wellington Region.
- Wellington Marine
- Kapiti Marine
- Mana Marine
- 0900 999 03 - South Island.
- Canterbury & Canterbury Marine
- Otago & Southern Lakes
- Buller & Westland
- 0900 999 60 - Brett
- 0900 999 61 - Colville
- 0900 999 62 - Plenty
- 0900 999 63 - Portland
- 0900 999 64 - Castlepoint
- 0900 999 65 - Cook
- 0900 999 66 - Abel
- 0900 999 67 - Conway
- 0900 999 68 - Rangitata
- 0900 999 69 - Chalmers
- 0900 999 70 - Foveaux
- 0900 999 71 - Puysegur
- 0900 999 72 - Milford
- 0900 999 73 - Grey
- 0900 999 74 - Stephens
- 0900 999 75 - Raglan
- 0900 999 76 - Kaipara
- 0900 999 78 - Chatham Islands
- 0900 999 98 - Bay of Islands Inshore Marine
- 0900 999 99 - Auckland Inshore Marine
- 0900 999 22 - Wellington Inshore Marine
- 0900 999 17 - Kapiti Coast Inshore Marine
- 0900 999 44 - Christchurch Inshore Marine
- 0900 999 18 - Lake Rotorua
- 0900 999 13 - Lake Taupo
Before you pack up the car and head to the mountain make a quick call to MetPhone Mountain & Ski Info. It can help you take some of the guesswork out of your trip by giving you:
- The very latest MetService weather forecasts for mountain areas.
- Daily reports of ski conditions at all major ski areas (during the ski season).
- The latest AA highway report.
MetPhone Mountain & Ski Info numbers:
- 0900 999 24 - Brief Mountain (National)
- 0900 999 15 - Central North Island
- 0900 999 02 - Nelson Lakes
- 0900 999 26 - Canterbury Region
- 0900 999 81 - Southern Lakes
Ski conditions available by approximately 7am (during the ski season). New forecasts available by 5am, 12pm, 4pm and 7pm.
- By using an electronic voice, MetPhone can update more information more often. With text-to-speech technology, loading new forecasts and information takes no longer than five minutes.
- We have worked with a UK-based company specialising in text-to-speech technology. MetService has modified the system, incorporating Maori pronunciation, to deliver our forecasts via MetPhone.
- Only the voice is electronic. Forecasts are still produced by MetService's own meteorologists. Once MetService's forecasters have drafted the weather forecast, the text-to-speech system turns the forecast into a sound file. The sound file is then sent to MetPhone where it is played to callers who select a particular service.
- All files are electronically monitored for quality and timeliness, and pro-active alerts are then actioned by staff monitoring the system. The system automatically corrects known typing mistakes and any undesirable words and phrases.